Applications for HBA NY/NJ region 2020 Circle of Advisors program, exclusively for executive women, are now being accepted.
A Circle of Advisors is a peer support program for executive women who are HBA members in good standing and meet the required inclusion criteria. Offered by the Executive Women’s Outreach (EWO) Committee, the objectives of the program are to:
- Expand each participant’s strategic network with like-minded, successful executives
- Serve as a forum for senior leadership development and imaginative problem solving
- Create an inner circle of mutual support, learning and friendship
- Leverage expert executive coaches to foster and facilitate the power of group coaching
It starts with you
While we can’t guarantee you’ll achieve your wildest dreams, we can promise that joining a circle will give you the support to go for them. Past members have achieved new heights, taking on higher-level assignments, enjoying expanded roles and transitioning to unexpected and exciting opportunities, all thanks to the encouragement and support of their peer advisors and coaches.
The power of peer support
Research shows that we are more confident and can learn and accomplish more in small groups. Peer support occurs when people provide knowledge, experience, emotional, social and practical help to each other over time. This is the priceless benefit of being part of a circle.
Previous circles have helped members work through challenges and opportunities, including navigating politically complex environments, negotiating for their true value, preparing for crucial conversations and navigating demanding travel and meeting schedules. Participants also have found help in managing difficult professional relationships, including interacting with competitive peers, and influencing across the globe without direct authority. Members have benefited from the wisdom of other women, who they respect and enjoy, on these issues as well as the ever present considerations of self-care and work-life balance.
The Circle of Advisors
Each circle is comprised of four or five members representing the highest levels of leadership in pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device, healthcare, academic and/or service provider organizations. Individuals submit an application to ensure appropriate qualifications and circle commonality/diversity, company representation, comparable levels of responsibility and related areas of interest. An executive coach, selected based on proven expertise and experience partnering with and supporting top-tier leaders, will be assigned to each circle to facilitate discussions for the entire 9-month duration of the program.
A series of program events will support networking opportunities among all the circles:
- Kickoff dinner: 25 March 2020 (Attendance at this dinner is mandatory, location TBD)
- Mid-program event in July/August 2020 (date and location TBD)
- End-of-program celebration: November/December 2020 (date and location TBD)
Enrollment in the 2019 Circle of Advisors is a two (2)-step process:
- Interested executives are required to register online to participate in the program. The deadline for registration is 13 March 2020
- Applicants will be automatically emailed a survey after completing registration. This survey must be completed to be considered for participation.
- Successful applicants will be notified by 16 March 2020.
Accepted applicants must be in attendance at the Circle of Advisors Kickoff event on 25 March 2020 (location TBD in Northern NJ). It is encouraged for applicants to block the evening on calendars now pending acceptance.
Selection criteria and process
Members of the Circle of Advisors leadership will screen all applicants to match executives to their circle. Selected executives will be contacted directly by email and given detailed registration instructions. Selected participants must be current HBA members and on the EWO-eligible list* or must join both at the time of registration.
*EWO eligible participants must be currently (or for those in employment transition, most recently) employed at either:
- A healthcare manufacturing company (of any size) in the role of: CEO/chairman, president, EVP, SVP, VP, AVP, executive director, senior director or equivalent
- An agency or other service provider firm (with 15+ full-time employees) in the role of: CEO/chairman, president, VP, partner, managing director or equivalent
If a participant cannot be accommodated in the program or does not meet the eligibility criteria (see below*) to participate, the applicant's program fee will be refunded in full. Selected participants will be notified and receive invitation information about the kickoff event where they will meet their executive coach and circle peers (on 16 March 2020).
Accepted applicants must be HBA members in order to participate in the program. If accepted and not already a member, participants must join HBA prior to attending the kickoff event. Please note that HBA annual membership dues are an additional charge, separate and distinct from any Circle of Advisors program fees and are not refundable. Please make sure that you are accepted into the program and have decided to participate before joining the HBA unless this is something you already wanted to do.
Registration and cost
The program participation fee is $1,000 and is due at the time of registration. Online registrations must be completed by 13 March 2020.
Questions about the program?
Please contact Mary Sylvester.