Greetings HBA Orange County -
Welcome to 2021! I am thrilled to serve as your HBA Orange County president for a second year. HBA Orange County is the newest chapter in the HBA Pacific Region and we just completed our first full year as a brand-new board. The board is comprised of talented and passionate individuals dedicated to supporting the HBA to further the advancement and impact of women in the business of healthcare.
Our HBA Orange County board includes the following:
President – Dr. Shawn Andrews (Andrews Research International)
Vice president – Dr. Shiva Sharareh (Rekovar, Inc)
Director of operations – Brad Lozan (Concuir, Inc)
Director of programs and events – Karen Jimenea (AbbVie)
Director of membership and engagement – Monica Prokocki (Edwards Lifesciences)
Director of marketing and communications – Andrea Sampson (Sampson PR Group)
We are also fortunate to work with a talented corporate relations team, an esteemed advisory board and committee members in the areas of programs, membership and marketing.
Together, this team accomplished the following in 2020:
- Provided 20 high-quality, diverse educational programs (2 in-person, 18 virtual) to members in Orange County and across the country
- Participated in four co-marketing events
- Grew membership by 33 percent (from 120 to 160 members), during a pandemic
- Increased member engagement based on attendance, feedback, new programs, networking and social media presence
- Created a new advisory board with 11 executive-level members from diverse companies
- Engaged current corporate partners and formed relationships for future partners
- Established an award program to recognize members on a quarterly basis
- Led a successful mentoring program (three mentors and six mentees) and established a new HBA Orange County mentoring lead role
We are now focused on 2021. We are working with our members, partners and advisors to strategically plan programs for the year that are valuable and relevant to women in healthcare and that support gender parity. We will continue to offer both educational and networking programs focused on a range of topics, including lunch & learns, supper clubs, entrepreneurs and women of color. The HBA also runs a fantastic mentorship program that runs throughout the year and an HBA Orange County program just kicked-off.
HBA Orange County is lucky to be a part of the Orange County community, as it is home to hundreds of healthcare-focused organizations including biopharma, medical devices, diagnostics, research, hospitals, universities and consulting agencies. Whether you’ve been part of the HBA for many years or are new to the chapter, we hope you will join us at a networking event or an educational program this year and find out what we have to offer.
We encourage women and men at any level of their careers to participate and engage with our local chapter - HBA Orange County. If you’re looking to volunteer or contribute, don’t hesitate to contact us based on your area of interest.
We look forward to a great 2021 – and to seeing you at our next event.