Greetings fellow HBA Greater Philly members,
I hope all of you are enjoying this winter season. As the new year approaches, it’s a great time for reflection.
What an amazing year 2016 has been for our chapter as we reached our 10-year milestone. At the beginning of year, our leadership team decided we wanted to make this a year of innovation. We were ready to restructure, take risks and put resources behind piloting new ideas. These innovations enhanced diversity, engagement and inclusion across the chapter. In 2016, our membership grew by 5.4% and over 1,600 attendees partook in our programs and events.
I want to thank our Corporate Partners, volunteers and committee members who helped make 2016 a success. Over 100 exceptional volunteer leaders make our chapter run. Here is just a small sampling of what they have accomplished:
- Our membership team welcomed over 275 new members to the chapter this year and implemented a new recruit and reward program to thank our members when they invite friends and colleagues to join the HBA Greater Philly chapter.
- Our marketing team amped up social media and video content marketing by engaging the membership in innovative ways, such as live-tweet contests at events and a selfie video contest to share personal stories. Many member videos were spotlighted at the 10-yr celebration.
- Our programming team planned nearly 30 events. The team took advantage of our diverse healthcare region by selecting topics and speakers which allowed for the cross-fertilization of ideas across sectors and disciplines to enhance and broaden member engagement.
- Our corporate relations team created a robust sponsorship plan which insured programming reached members at all corners of our geography and opened doors to new sponsors especially in support of the 10-yr celebration. 100% of our programs were sponsored in 2016 – thank you sponsors.
- Our mentoring program grew by over 60% and added 19 new members to the HBA Greater Philly chapter thanks to the efforts of our mentoring team. Lynn Paolicelli, HBA Greater Philadelphia director at large, mentoring, received the 2016 LEAD award for her exceptional work on the program.
- In addition to analyzing the data that informed our daily decisions, our market research team partnered with St. Joseph’s University to conduct research on the ROI of mentoring with plans to present the results in 2017.
- Our leadership engagement team kept our committees staffed and enhanced volunteer recognition and visibility opportunities. In 2016, seven volunteers were recognized with the outstanding leadership award and 46 committee members were recognized by their peers with Spark awards for their contributions to our chapter.
- Our Fit-to-Lead team hosted a keynote event featuring 2015 WOTY Denice Torres which drew over 110 attendees and expanded programming focused on the link between fitness and leadership. Also, for the fourth consecutive year, Fit-to-Lead members participated in the Philadelphia Tri-Rock triathlon.
- Our Women in Transition (WIT) affinity group leader launched virtual programming enhancing our ability to serve WIT members. The expanded coaching opportunities and access to learning increased engagement by 8-fold.
- Our Women in Science (WIS) team hosted an event on innovation which drew almost 100 attendees. All our STEM colleagues should keep an eye out for information on the represent initiative which will be rolled out early next year.
- Our 10-yr signature event team secured a fabulous venue and planned a wonderful evening to celebrate our chapter milestone.
It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as your chapter president in 2016. Next year, we have an exceptional set of women leaders poised to lead our chapter, and I look forward to continuing to work with our 2017 president, Bonnie Wingate, and the entire leadership team to bring you the programs, events and networking opportunities you have come to expect from us.
Wishing you a healthy and happy new year,
2016 HBA Greater Philadelphia president
Opportunities for you to kickoff the new year with HBA Greater Philly
- Our first dine around of 2017, Uncorking Possibilities for the Future: Explore Your Values and Define Your Success, is on 24 January at the Joseph Ambler Inn. Ring in the new year with the HBA as we discuss the value mentoring can play in developing a deeper understanding of what gives us meaning and provides us with fulfillment.
- On 8 February 8, the first ever Fit to Lead Expo will be hosted by Teva. Renew your resolution to be Fit to Lead and connect with professional peers while engaging in some "sweatworking" and learning about how to connect your fitness and leadership goals.
- For those excited by a challenge, don’t forget to sign up for the Fit to Lead six-month journey before 15 February. Invest in yourself and experience the transformational nature of this program.