Mentoring for women who would like to try the sport of Triathlon as a way to build their fitness in 2013.
A triathlon is a multiple-stage competition involving the completion of three continuous and sequential endurance events. While many variations of the sport exist, triathlon, in its most popular form, involves swimming, cycling, and running in immediate succession over various distances. There are various distances for triathlons. This challenge will focus on Sprint distance triathlons, which are approximately .6K (.37 mile) swim, 25K (15.5 mile) bike, 5K (3.1 mile) run.
This special program will be limited to 20 people. The focus will be on beginners to the sport. Even if you have never done running or swimming or biking, you can do this! There is no charge for your participation but you will be required to register for a triathlon which is around $150.
1. Triathlon training plan: You will receive a 5-8-month plan for beginners to train for triathlons that take place from May-August 2013, including suggested triathlons in the NE Region.
2. Group training calls: Twice monthly group calls – The second and fourth Tuesday of every month beginning in January 2013 a Group Mentor conference call will take place from 8-9 PM ET. This 60-min call is to support you in your training with a call agenda that includes:
- Sharing of accomplishments, frustrations, questions about training
- Tools and techniques for your training (including guest speakers)
- Q&A discussion about learning received
- Assignments for approximately six months of athletic training
2. Monthly email: training suggestions, review of calls, training resources
3. Social media support: Facebook HBA Philly page to post photos, questions, comments and sharing of your experience.
Interested? Please contact Ashley Tappan by March 1.
Leading “Fit to Lead” is Ashley Tappan, a consultant for Insigniam, a global management consulting firm. At 44, she is the mother of Nico, an energetic 20-month old, and wife to her husband, Daniele, who travels the world in his business. Ashley was an athlete throughout school, but stopped competing after graduating from college. In 2010, she trained for and completed her first triathlon in 18 years. She is a passionate volunteer and coach for professional organizations like HBA, and loves the interest women are finding in trying sports out for the first time or for the first time in a long time!