This page will help you prepare to talk to your manager to make the case for adding the 2017 HBA Annual Conference to your professional development plan and request that your employer cover the expenses to support your attendance. To assist you in requesting reimbursement for your company, we've created a template letter to your manager.
Step 1: Itemize your expected expenses
Before you communicate with your manager to request to attend the conference, we suggest you calculate the monetary costs you expect to incur:
- Registration fee: Early bird registration rates are available until 30 June 2017 at 11:59 PM ET. Register early for the widest selection of workshop choices. Note that the registration fee includes a reception on Monday night, breakfast and lunch on Tuesday, and breakfast on Wednesday. There is a reception planned at Reading Terminal Market for Tuesday night (additional fee required).
- Transportation: Airfare or train fare, as well as ground transportation round trip from airport to the hotel.
- Accommodations: The HBA has arranged a room block at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown at the rate of $249/night, plus 15.5% tax. Rooms at the HBA rate will be available until 6:00 PM ET on 13 October 2017 or until the block is sold out, whichever comes first.
Step 2: Communicate the benefits to you, your team and your company
To be the most effective in justifying support of your attendance at the conference, clearly articulate the connection between your organization’s requirements and the conference program. Use this template letter to your manager and the workshop guide. Some specific details to include:
- Workshop descriptions
- General sessions: Information on the speakers and topics which will be covered
- Build your network: Describe to your manager how face-to-face networking with over 1,000 of the leading women in healthcare will allow for additional opportunities to share ideas across the industry.
- Sharing back at the office: Describe how you will bring the knowledge back to your team and conduct a lunch and learn or webinar to share the knowledge.