This page will help you prepare to talk to your manager to make the case for adding the HBA 2015 Annual Conference to your professional development plan and request that your employer cover the expenses to support your attendance. To assist you in requesting reimbursement for your company, we've created a template letter to your supervisor.
Step 1: Itemize your expected expenses
Before you communicate with your manager to request to attend the conference, we suggest you calculate the monetary costs you expect to incur:
- Registration fee: Early bird registration rates are available until June 30, 2015 at 11:59 PM ET. Register early for the widest selection of workshop choices. Note that the registration fee includes a reception on Tuesday night, breakfast and lunch on Wednesday and breakfast on Thursday.
- Transportation: airfare or train fare, as well as ground transportation round trip from airport to the hotel.
- Accommodations at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis. The HBA has arranged a room block at the rate of $199/night. Rooms at the HBA rate will be available until 5:00 PM ET on October 13, 2015 or until the block is sold out, whichever comes first.
Step 2: Communicate the benefits to you, your team and your company
To be the most effective in justifying support of your attendance at the conference, clearly articulate the connection between your organization’s requirements and the conference program.
Use this template letter to your supervisor and the Guide to Selecting Your Sessions*. Some specific details to include:
- Workshop descriptions: May we suggest printing out the pages from the Guide to Selecting Your Sessions* for the sessions you wish to register for
- General sessions: Information on the speakers and topics which will be covered
- Build your network: Describe to your manager how face-to-face networking with 950 of the leading women healthcare will allow for additional opportunities to share ideas across the industry.
- Sharing back at the office: Describe how you will bring the knowledge back to your team and conduct a lunch and learn or webinar to share the knowledge.
*Guide to Selecting Your Sessions will be available on June 1, 2015.