This page will help you prepare to talk to your manager to make the case for adding the HBA 2014 Annual Conference to your professional development plan and request that your employer cover the expenses to support your attendance. To assist you in requesting reimbursement for your company, we've created a template letter to your supervisor.
Step 1: Itemize your expected expenses
Before you communicate with your manager to request to attend the conference, we suggest you calculate the monetary costs you expect to incur:
- Registration cost $1,150 if you’re a member and register before June 30. Note that registration includes breakfast and lunch on Thursday and breakfast on Friday.
- Transportation: airfare or train fare as well as ground transportation round trip from airport to the hotel.
- Accommodations at the Hilton Chicago. The HBA has arranged a room block at the rate of $235/night. Rooms at the HBA rate will be available until October 21, 2014 or until the block is sold out, whichever comes first.
Step 2: Communicate the benefits to you, your team and your company
To be the most effective in justifying support of your attendance at the conference, clearly articulate the connection between your organization’s requirements and the conference program.
Some specific details to include:
- Workshop descriptions: May we suggest printing out the pages from the Guide to Selecting Your Sessions for the sessions you wish to register for
- General sessions: Information on the speakers and topics which will be covered
- Build your network: Describe to your manager how face-to-face networking with 900 of the leading women healthcare will allow for additional opportunities to share ideas across the industry.
- Sharing back at the office: Describe how you will bring the knowledge back to your team and conduct a lunch and learn or webinar to share the knowledge.