The objective of the HBA Greater Philadelphia mentoring program is to harness the expertise of seasoned healthcare executives to mentor future leaders and deepen engagement with the chapter. Mentoring takes place in groups. Two mentors are carefully matched with four to five mentees, using meaningful information gathered during the application survey process.
If you are looking to participate in these development opportunities, this program is for you.
- Benefit from the tremendous talent available within the membership
- Learn from industry-specific members with broad industry experience
- Enjoy a safe forum outside office or company to address challenging work and work/life balance issues
- Learn how to participate in a mentoring relationship
- Identify and achieve your learning goals
- Transition from who you are to who you want to become professionally i.e., manage career transitions
Each mentoring group is made up of two mentors and four to five mentees who establish their own goals and meetings in-person over the course of eight months. Participants will be matched into groups based on geography, experience and skills, common challenges and diverse experiences.
Mentor or mentee?
- As a mentee, you should be able to devote the time to fully participate in, and help lead your group. This is a mentee-driven program, and the more you put in, the more you will gain. Plan to devote at least three to four hours each month to really engage in, and benefit from this program. Be ready to invest in yourself, take stock, set goals, stretch yourself and be open to the advice and support you’ll receive from seasoned healthcare executives and your team.
- Mentors for the HBA Greater Philadelphia program are seasoned healthcare executives. They have a keen sense of their strengths and the ability and experience necessary to guide their mentees. Mentors are willing to share of themselves—relaying stories and anecdotes from their own careers, recounting successes and failures, offering ideas and approaches, and identifying tools and connections. Most mentors have at least 10 years’ experience in a director-level or higher position in pharma or 15 years’ experience in a senior management position (e.g., SVP, EVP, managing partner) in a pharma-related service organization or industry. Mentors have worked with and developed both individuals and teams. They are the cornerstone of this program, donating their time and talents to their groups. Plan to devote at least four to six hours each month to support your mentees.
The registration fee includes:
- Kickoff event 5 April, 2017
- 6+ development session with your mentoring circle
- June educational session (MBTI, DiSC, Strengths Finder)
- September networking event with HBA Greater Philadelphia board of directors
- Closing event 25 October, 2017
In-person attendance requirements
Prior to the kickoff of the program, mentors will participate in a highly interactive onboarding session designed to provide a clear understanding of how to execute their role and learn what supporting resources are available. The date is set for 25 March, 2017 with details to follow.
We are kicking off our mentoring program with an evening event which is scheduled for 5 April, 2017. Attendance at the kickoff event and meetings of your mentoring circle (schedule/venues determined by each group) are required.
Applying for the 2017 group mentoring program is a two-part process:
- Register for the program here; mentees pay the course fee now*
- Complete the mentee or mentor application survey, which will be sent to applicants via email immediately following registration.
*Applicants to the program must complete both registration and the application survey in order to be considered for the program. Any applicants not assigned to a mentoring group in 2017 will be notified via email and all associated registration fees will be refunded in full.
Mentees must be HBA members. Mentors must either be HBA members or a member of a sponsor organization.
This is an HBA-members only program. If you are accepted into the program, elect to participate, and are not a current HBA member, you must join the HBA by the kickoff event on 5 April, 2017.
Please note that:
- The HBA annual membership fee is separate and distinct from the program fee.
- The HBA annual membership fee is not refundable (so make sure you have been accepted into the program and have made the decision to participate before joining).
Cost for mentees: $200 until 1 March, 2017 - $250 after 1 March, 2017
- Space is limited.
- Applications will be reviewed in the order in which they are received. During the review/matching process, consideration will be given to the committee’s ability to align mentee needs with mentor expertise, and the ability of applicants to attend the kickoff event.