On behalf of the HBA Board of Directors, we want to thank all our members for your votes to identify HBA's leadership for 2022.
It is now time to recruit the strategic leaders for next year’s elected global Board of Directors and Nominating Committee roles to ensure we continue our successful progress as a diverse team of senior executives.
Please take a few minutes to review the role descriptions and expectations of Board and Nominating Committee members and how these opportunities could fulfill your personal and professional goals. You can also pass this top industry leadership opportunity along to senior leaders you respect. Besides the sense of fulfillment to directly contribute to the advancement of gender parity, there are numerous tangible benefits with an expanded global network of industry leaders, access to the latest industry trends, raised visibility as an industry leader, and the opportunity to work side by side with other top leaders who collaboratively contribute to a thriving, high-performing Board.
Nominations are due by 28 July. We strongly encourage self-nomination.
What Board positions must be filled this year?
The vacancies on the 2023 Board of Directors are the Executive Committee (3) including the Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary/Treasurer; voting Directors at Large (4); and non-voting Operating Board Presidents (2). The Nominating Committee is seeking candidates for two positions.
Who is the ideal Board candidate?
There is no "ideal" Board candidate. Instead, the HBA wants to have a Board that is prepared to tackle the work laid out in the multi-year strategic plan. It is essential to include individuals with diverse backgrounds (e.g., racial/ethnic, gender, industry sector, company size, and geographic location) so that it can make well-rounded decisions that support the best interests of HBA's membership.
What criteria will the Nominating Committee use to select Board candidates?
The core requirements of Board candidates:
- HBA member
- Passion for the HBA mission and appreciation of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability to lean into change with a future-facing approach
- Strong strategic thinking skills and ability to take a holistic view
Strongly desired characteristics:
- Global awareness (have lived outside the US or responsible for ex-US business)
- Well-versed in healthcare
- Previous Board experience with strong governance and not-for-profit advocacy awareness
- Financial/business acumen
- HR/Talent Management VP or higher career level
If you are interested in any of the above positions, apply now! If you have business colleagues or friends whom you think are qualified and interested, please bring this opportunity to their attention. And thanks in advance for your contribution to a strong 2023 leadership.
Additional information can be found in the FAQs.
Apply using this nomination form and follow the instructions provided.
2023 HBA Global Board of Directors Retreats and Meetings (subject to adjustment based on Board needs)
- Annual Business Meeting (voting for 2023 Board slate): 17 November 2022, 12-1 PM ET – Virtual
- 2023 New Board Member Orientation: December 2022 – Virtual
- Board Retreat: 12-13 January 2023 – San Francisco, CA
- Board Meeting: 28 March 2023, 10:00-12:00 PM ET – Virtual
- Board Retreat: 4-5 May 2023 (Tentative) – New York, NY
- Board Meeting: 19 July 2023, 10:00-12:00 PM ET – Virtual
- Board Retreat: 3-4 October 2023 – Chicago, IL
- Annual Business Meeting (voting for 2024 Board slate): TBD
- Board Meeting: 5 December 2023, 11:00 AM-12:00 PM ET – Virtual