2022 HBA Board of Directors and Nominating Committee FAQ
The vacancies on the 2022 Board of Directors are the Executive Committee (3) including the Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary/Treasurer, voting Directors at Large (4) and CCP chair (1). The Nominating Committee is seeking candidates for two positions.
There is no "ideal" board candidate. Instead, the HBA wants to have a board that is prepared to tackle the work laid out in the multi-year strategic plan. It is essential to include individuals with diverse backgrounds (e.g., racial/ethnic, gender, industry sector, and geographic location) so that it can make well-rounded decisions that reflect the HBA membership.
The core requirements of board candidates:
- HBA member
- Passion for the HBA mission and appreciation of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Ability to lean into change with a future-facing approach
- Strong strategic thinking skills and ability to take a holistic view
Strongly desired characteristics:
- Global awareness (live outside the U.S. or responsible for ex-U.S. business)
- Well-versed in healthcare
- Understanding of digital strategy and effective communications
- Previous board experience
- VP or higher career level
To ensure the board is representative of the membership they serve, we look to create a diverse board:
- Race and ethnicity
- Industry sector
- Organization/Institution size
You think strategically. You lean into change. You carefully evaluate opportunities.
You engage and build the foundation for the needs of professionals and organizations across the healthcare and life sciences to successfully achieve gender equity and parity. Board members are expected to bring viewpoints and knowledge, which when blended with the knowledge and skill of the association’s experienced and motivated staff, will guide the HBA’s continued success.
Previous board members have attested to the tremendous value of board service. In addition to the impressive line item on their resume, they have reported significant professional and personal benefits, including:
- opportunity to meet, work with and learn from top industry leaders
- chance to share their own knowledge and expertise to progress gender equity and parity
- valuable work experience that opens the door to new career opportunities
- professional recognition that elevates their stature within their own organizations and industry
- relationships with new friends and lifelong mentors and mentees
The three officer roles on the Executive Committee are one-year terms with the opportunity to serve a subsequent one-year term.
The Directors at Large roles are two-year terms with the opportunity to serve two subsequent terms (total of six years).
The CCP chair is a one-year term appointed by the sitting CCP and this role does not have a term limit but the person must have been a chapter president.
Any number of non-voting Director at Large roles may be appointed by the Board for a one-year term to enable the work and diversity of the board to be adequately managed.
The HBA membership with those who are members in good standing as of October 1 of the current year vote (typically electronically) for the slate of candidates put forth by the HBA Nominating Committee.
Board members must be willing to invest time in preparing for and thoughtfully participating in board meetings. The association board typically meets four times a year for two-day (in-person and virtual) board meetings and the chance to come together on monthly connection calls to stay aligned and informed. Board members are expected to serve on a board committee or action team (which include additional meetings), participate in events, and engage their organization (and other organizations where possible!) to support the HBA as corporate partners, Collaborative members, and sponsors.
There is always next year! And there are myriad volunteer opportunities within the association. The Nominating Committee will endeavor to provide feedback to applicants who were not slated for the board so they can improve their future chance of being slated.